Sunday, December 31, 2006

Sad Times...

Our puppies haven't been doing well - we lost the first girl yesterday afternoon (the one pictured below) a boy died around 9.30 last night (only to be put with Honey in the dog room, and when I came in with the mother from toileting, I heard peeping, and he was back!), and then passed again at around midnite...then not long after T'Keyah and I went home at 1amish - the little boy (last born) died - so we're left with three girls - two really strong ones, and one wee one that isn't as strong - infact I'm surprised she survived this morning - Jessie felt like she'd retained a pup (either one that died long ago and had calcified or a recent death) so we took her to the vets last night - we gave her three doses of oxytocin (me being the lucky candidate to give her two!! - real live injections intramusculary are soooo different than practicing on oranges in your nursing degree! But I pulled it off and did it right, phew!) she never passed the pup over night, and went to the vets this morning to have an xray (which showed no pup, but possibly the calcifed type) and then a c-section to remove it - turns out she actually had an introverted uterus - so that was corrected and she has recovered pretty well.

A friend of mums had a bitch that has 6 week old pups and still in milk, so she was a surrogate for the babies while Jessie was at the vet - the wee girl was fading fast, and we gave her some puppy formula, and she's actually responded to it really well. Heaps more lively and not as dehydrated as she was - I actually have a little more hope for her now, but I guess the true test will be to see if she survives tonight. So heartbreaking.


But, check out this ratbag - Molly loves the playstation, and we have fluffy games like wallace and gromit, the simpsons and ice age - this is our playstation queen playing the simpsons (she was actually watching the bonus videos and cracking up at them!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwww sorry to hear about the puppies. Poor mummy dog has been through the wringer. Molly looks like she is having a blast.

Julie said...

I hope the remaining puppies are doing well - so sorry to hear about the others passing - how sad for you!
I love the photo though of Molly - pure joy!

~Zeetra~ said...

I am sorry to hear about your puppies. I do hope the other 3 survive. My MIL breeds small dogs (sorry cant spell the name) and she give the pups nurtigel if the mum is a bit useless and she says its very good. Not sure if that may help at all...

Happy New Year to you Dallas and your family too.