Monday, December 04, 2006

falling behind

with Janine's challenge! After such a good start, I seem to be lagging - didn't help having shows all weekend, nor today...I'd promised myself the morning to scrap, but of course had volunteered to take Mum's car through for it's WOF - um, yeah - whole morning *poof* So I don't even feel like I've had 5 minutes to myself! My mother's hearing must be worse than I even imagined - she's worn hearing aides for years, but her car was making this hideous screeching sound because she had NO BRAKE PADS LEFT! And, she had never heard it *shakes head* Honestly, I thought that the idea of my brother and his wife & Mum living in the same blardy house would mean she'd be safe and looked out for - seems not!! Mind you, they are both so far up themselves I'm not entirely surprised, god forbid either of them would have to do anything for anyone else!! Anyway, my mother is now driving a safe car again.

Well T'Keyah is home, South Island Champs over for another year...her team came home with a silver and a bronze, not bad for 9 teams! She was home for all of thirty seconds before she started - I'm really tired of her attitude, she really doesn't get it at all...I know this is teenhood, but gravyboats, I'm sure I never raised her to be so self-centred and ignorant!!

We had the appointment with Dr Harris on Friday - she sat us down and started a brief history of Molly's health etc....we got to the nine month incident (possible stroke) and she stopped us. She asked a few questions about autistic tendencies and what did Molly do
Dr Harris - Does she flap?
Me - No
Dr H - Does she line her toys up?
Me - No
Dr H - Is she fixed on routine, has to have the same plate etc?
Me - No
Dr H - Does she stim?
Me - No
Dr H - Does she place her face close to a fence while walking past?
Me - No
Dr H - *blank expression*
Dr H - What is the basis of her diagnosis?
Me - that she has no speech & a lack of social interactions
Dr H - don't they kinda go hand in hand??
Me - (laugh) yeah, well that's what we've been saying.
Dr H - well, to be honest, I think that this girl needs an MRI to find out whether she did have a stroke, regardless!

I had told her about how the hospital laughed when we arrived and told me that babies don't have strokes - she must have thought I was really stupid - the wee girl I used to do respite care for had a stroke! She couldn't believe that we had no testing done that day. And now, I 'm back to confusion!! I have never accepted the diagnosis of autism, but I didn't really need to have all this dragged back out - now I have to phone our paediatrician and request an MRI - which I shudder to think how long we'd have to wait, and paying for one is kinda out of our reach. I just feel so sad for Molly, not that she'd ever know, but how has her life been affected due to all of this mucking around - if they'd just done some testing at 9 months, we'd know EXACTLY where we stand, but instead we've had three years of utter garbage, being fobbed off left and right!!

So we have the blood test form, and I will take her in for that - most of the other tests aren't free - the hair analysis is $100 and often comes back inconclusive, so I don't know if we'll even bother with that!

So tomorrow, I will scrap, be driven clinically insane by T'Keyah who has decided to have the whole day off, not just the morning, and phone the paediatrician....go me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww Dallas - dont you just wish they'd all work together for Molly's benefit rather than against each other. Hope you dont have to wait too long for the tests. Must be frustrating for you tho.
LOL I know exactly what you mean about teenagers!!! No magic cure that I know of yet - still looking tho and will let you know if I find one.
Catch up with you soon!

Hannah said...

I hope Molly can get this test done quickly and that it will provide you with some answers.

Your mum is lucky to have you around, you obviously care about her very much.

~Zeetra~ said...

I really hope you get what you need this time out of the doctors,and they wonder why they get called quacks?..
They never listen to the mothers do they? Lets hope the MRI comes along very soon.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what Michele and the others said about Molly. Hard when you just want an answer. Oh er teenge girls good luck with that. All I can say is we do grow out of it. And blooming heck about your mum and the brake pads.